Troubleshooting z-push

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Mon Feb 27 20:36:56 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm using Kolab 2.3.4 with Kontact, Horde, and two Androids as clients.
Right now I am focusing on issues with certain calendar events.
Essentially, some events showing up on the wrong days in my Android
calendars, while they seem to be on the correct days for Kontact and Horde.
It seems to be timezone related.

I have modified /kolab/etc/kolab/templates/php.ini.template with my timezone
(America/New_York) where it says not to hard code the timezone ;) , other
than that, I didn't change any other settings related to zpush.

For instance, I am creating an event with the following details:

Name: Test #1
Start: Tues, Feb 28, 2012, 7:00pm EST
End: Tues, Feb 28, 2012, 8:30pm EST
Repeat every Tuesday forever.

For purposes of this test, I created the above event in Horde (timezone set
to Eastern in Horde interface) and it shows at the correct time in the
calendar.  Looking ahead for a few months, all the repeats are in the right
place.

Now, when I switch over to my Android phone, the first occurrence of this
event is in the right place (Tuesday at 7:00pmEST). However, starting next
week,  this event is showing up in the calendar a day early: on Monday,
March 5th from 7:00pm EST to 8:30pm EST.  When I edit the event on the
Android, I see this for the times:

Timezone: CET (GMT+1)
Start time: Tues, Mar 6, 2012, 1:00am (7:00pm EST)
End time: Tues, Mar 6, 2012, 2:30am (8:30pm EST)

I've created five test weekly repeating events on March 7th at various times
during the day.  The best I can tell is that whenever the ending time of an
event is past midnight GMT, this problem happens.  Two of the events I
created ended at 7:30pm and 11:00pm EST respectively.  After the initial
event is in the correct place, the repeats are all off by a day.

Another thing I don't understand on the Android is when I edit some events,
it wants to use CET as the timezone (even though the offset time is
correct), and other times it only shows my current time zone.

So, after this long description of my issue, if this doesn't sound familiar
and is an easy change somewhere, how do I go about troubleshooting?  I've
seen the log files, but I think I've read that there is more debugging I can
turn on to look at the actual messages.

Thanks,
Troy