Kolab on powerpc

Paul Klos paul at klos2day.nl
Tue Aug 14 23:44:00 CEST 2012

Op dinsdag 14 augustus 2012 11:23:07 schreef hede:
> On Wednesday 08 August 2012 21:08:33 Paul Klos wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I run kolab on my Excito Bubba|2, which has a PowerPC architecture. The
> > distro is debian-based.
>
> Any chance to use a different distribution?

Not sure, might be possible, but all of Excito's stuff is Debian based, so a
different distro might prove quite the challenge.

> > If I want to upgrade to 2.4 and later to 3.0 I expect I will have to build
> > from source as well.
>
> me2. I'm running kolab 2.2 on a mips based machine. Debian squeeze with
> native upstream packages. It's a fine thing, I didn't compile anything for
> my own, even on mips. But 2.2 is outdated and there's nothing newer right
> now.

Ok, good to know I'm not all alone :-).

> > Is this correct, and, if yes, is there any documentation that might help
> > me?
> Good question. wiki.kolab.org is outdated. They recommend OpenPKG
> which is actually not the recommended way?
>
> OpenPKG packages are outdated. And native Debian packages (even the
> sources) are experimental. But Debian is the only usefull Distribution (next
> to Gentoo) for my MIPS based server (maybe like for your PowerPC?). What a
> pity.
>
> I think I will use kolab 2.2 for a while...

Yeah, well, I don't really want to. Especially the roundcube sounds
interesting. Current Horde doesn'perform at all, so maybe with Roundcube the
web interface might actually get usable. Also, for example, I'm currently
running 2 apaches because of the openpkg setup, which I'm less than happy
about.

> > Also, because the server itself isn't very powerful, I'd like to
> > cross-compile on a different machine If I can get that to work
>
> me2
>
> > (a complete
> > openpkg installation used to take 3-4 days I think). Any pointers here?
>
> gentoo would be an alternative for me. distcc is included and very easy to
> use. It's not a full crosscompiling, but it's faster using a big x86 for the
> compiling task. But kolab/gentoo is also outdated.

Correct. I have 2 Gentoo boxes (one is a laptop) and one Kubuntu that also has
distcc installed, so I have the distributed setup already. I'd have to make
cross-compiling work, though. Should be possible because at some point in the
past I've had a mixed environment of x32 and amd64 (they're all amd64 now)
which cross-compiled just fine.

Well, I'll have another think about it and let you guys know how it turns out.