Kolab on powerpc

hede kolab983 at der-he.de
Tue Aug 14 11:23:07 CEST 2012

On Wednesday 08 August 2012 21:08:33 Paul Klos wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I run kolab on my Excito Bubba|2, which has a PowerPC architecture. The
> distro is debian-based.

Any chance to use a different distribution?

> If I want to upgrade to 2.4 and later to 3.0 I expect I will have to build
> from source as well.

me2. I'm running kolab 2.2 on a mips based machine. Debian squeeze with
native upstream packages. It's a fine thing, I didn't compile anything for my
own, even on mips. But 2.2 is outdated and there's nothing newer right now.

> Is this correct, and, if yes, is there any documentation that might help me?

Good question. wiki.kolab.org is outdated. They recommend OpenPKG
which is actually not the recommended way?

OpenPKG packages are outdated. And native Debian packages (even the
sources) are experimental. But Debian is the only usefull Distribution (next
to Gentoo) for my MIPS based server (maybe like for your PowerPC?).
What a pity.

I think I will use kolab 2.2 for a while...

> Also, because the server itself isn't very powerful, I'd like to
> cross-compile on a different machine If I can get that to work

me2

> (a complete
> openpkg installation used to take 3-4 days I think). Any pointers here?

gentoo would be an alternative for me. distcc is included and very easy to
use. It's not a full crosscompiling, but it's faster using a big x86 for the
compiling task. But kolab/gentoo is also outdated.

hede