2.4 httpd process balancing

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Fri Aug 31 04:25:23 CEST 2012

I'm having a hard time finding the right balance of http server/thread settings
in the httpd.conf file in kolab 2.4.  I was using the default install, and
lately I found that the httpd processes overran the system and eventually
caused amavisd failures, which resulted in mail delivery failures.  This
happened after I added about 6 activesync devices.  I've throttled the httpd
processes way back, but now my mobile devices and web users are in contention
and many times can't connect.

I need some guidance into a balanced set of numbers.  I am running kolab in a
virtual machine on a dual core system.  Allocated memory is about 2.5 gig,
with the same amount of swap.  I only have about 10 users, so this not a large
deployment.

Right now, here's what I have:

<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers       5
MinSpareServers    2
MaxSpareServers    2
ServerLimit       10
MaxClients        10
MaxRequestsPerChild  4000
</IfModule>

<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers         4
MaxClients         300
MinSpareThreads     10
MaxSpareThreads     10
ThreadsPerChild     25
MaxRequestsPerChild  4000
</IfModule>

Even with the settings above, the mobile devices eventually can get to the
server and exchange mail...it's just not quite in real-time.

Thanks,
Troy Carpenter