Tablet Unfriendlyness of Kolab's (Horde) Webmail

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Thu Sep 15 14:13:59 CEST 2011

Quoting Johannes Graumann <johannes_graumann at web.de>:

> Hello,
>
> This is a general comment from a users perspective ... I'm running kolab
> 2.3.2 (soon to be 2.3.3) and was travelling this sommer without a full blown
> laptop, relying on my ASUS Transformer to access my ongoing professional
> communication. As my wife also uses the tablet and Android does not have
> multi-user support, I decided to access my email via the web interface.
> The resulting experience was underwhelming. The horde web-interface seems
> quite unsuited for smallish tablets/touch screens. In order to hit all the
> right buttons one has to zoom around constantly, in the progress loosing
> many elements from sight.
>
> Are there any (upstream horde?) plans to re-introduce multiple web interface
> options ot to tablet optimize the single existing one?

Absolutely. I know it took me far longer to get the newer Horde 4 in
shape for using it on the Kolab server. This is still ongoing but not
too far away. Horde 4 comes with optimized views for smartphones, see

http://www.horde.org/apps/imp/screenshots

for an example of the webmail.

 From the users perspective it is of course annoying to use a desktop
optimized webmail with a modern smartphone. And there are many users
going through the experience you described. You just type the URL of
your webmail and expect that it works on your tablet as well. But the
general UI concepts of these newer devices are very different and it
is extremely helpful if the app comes with a special view adapted to
that.

Horde LLC initially did read-only views for the mail and calendar
part. But in the mean time we have been contracted to expand the mail
view to read/write mode. So you are not the only one who would like to
see this functionality :)

Cheers,

Gunnar