postfix message_reject_characters

Andrew J. Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Tue Jan 18 17:25:18 CET 2011

> This simply depends on your specific situation.
>
> The RFC clearly says that the message is invalid so the problem is
> caused by the sender. So the long-term and the correct solution will
> be: "Fix the sender!".
>
> For the Kolab server it doesn't make much sense to allow it to deal
> with all types of crappy input. At least not in case there are just a
> few senders that misbehave. Of course we sometimes do add hacks in
> case the misbehaving client is named "Outlook" :) But other than that
> the long term strategy must be to adhere to the standards.
>
> Of course you still have the choice for your local installation to
> decide the stripping hurts you much less than fixing the one sender
> that causes problems.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gunnar

This was exactly my point.   I'm not about to waste my time debugging the
canned hook scripts that come with subversion.   :(

Considering this is the first time I ever experienced this problem (not just
svn, but postfix rejecting for the null byte), I'm fine with just stripping
the null byte, instead of rejecting the whole message.

1 message, in many many years of mail server admin.   I'm satisfied that the
frequency of this occurring again is rather minimal.

Thanks,

Andy