Delete old emails

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Tue Jan 18 10:08:29 CET 2011

Zitat von Paul Douglas Franklin <pdf at yugm.org>:

> I have a user who accesses his email via his desktop and also via his
> iPhone.  Both download using pop3 and leave the mail on the server for
> the other to grab; neither has the responsibility to delete old emails.
> On his desktop, he has Toltec set up to save the messages back to the
> server.  He reads the messages on one or the other and then either
> deletes them or (on his laptop) moves them into a folder.  He has quite
> a few folders and creates more when he sees fit.
> Occasionally the iPhone misbehaves and decides to download his thousands
> of read messages as if they are new.  Interestingly enough, he doesn't
> like deleting them again.  So I would like to set the server to
> automatically purge old emails, comme ci:
> http://wiki.kolab.org/Automatically_purge_old_emails.
> That would seem to fit the bill except that the value is inherited by
> sub-folders, and I don't want anything that he has saved in a folder to
> disappear on him.  I'm guessing that if I set the purge time on the main
> folder to 30 and then set the purge time on each folder to none, it will
> work until he adds another folder.  Is this correct, and is there any
> solution to the problem of the purge time being inherited by a new folder?

As you seem to have a direct contact with this user I would suggest
that you tell him how you are going to solve the problem with the
"expire" setting. If he wants to avoid having that feature deleting
the mail in new folders he creates he *must* create new folders only
as subfolders to a limited set of folders that were created beforehand
and where you disabled expiration. This is a minor limitation that
might be acceptable.

I don't know if there are other ways to deal with the problem though.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> --Paul
> <http://wiki.kolab.org/Automatically_purge_old_emails>
> --
>

> Paul Douglas Franklin
> Computer Manager
> http://www.yugm.org/
>
> /Husband of Danette; father of Laurene, Miriam, Tycko, Timothy,
> Sarabeth, Marie, Dawnita, Anna Leah, Alexander, and Caleb/
>
> Upgrade to the premier Office package today!
>
> Free download here:
> http://www.openoffice.org/

Gunnar Wrobel
Developer, Kolab Systems AG