KolabClient for Android (under development)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Tue Jan 18 09:57:38 CET 2011

Zitat von Kevin Möllering <kevinmoellering at lavabit.com>:

> Hello everybody,
>
> while searching for a good synchronization Software for my Notebook and
> my Android Phone (that uses an IMAP Mail Account) I stumbled over the
> Kolab project.
>
> In this context I also found an Android client for Kolab: KolabDroid. It
> is still under heavy development, but all in all seems to work fine
> already (no repeating calendar entries yet and other bugs). It is also a
> bit slow, but for me it works.
>
> You (Kolab users) might want to have a look at it [1].
>
> I don't know how good the collaboration between the developers of Kolab
> itself and the Android Kolab client is, but such a client (if completely
> working) would open Kolab for a huge user base.

As far as I know there has been some contact but so far there has been
no intense collaboration. I admit that I didn't see many discussions
on this list that would relate to this client. But I also assume many
people might be interested.

> Furthermore I could not
> easily find another tool that supports contact and calendar sync between
> Android phones and the Lightning extension for Thunderbird.

What about using ActiveSync via Kolab zPush? Or even SyncML via Horde?

> Joining
> forces with the KolabDroid developers might be a big leap forward for
> both projects.

The Kolab developers need to focus on synchronization technologies
such as ActiveSync or SyncML that can be directly supported by the
Kolab server. Such technologies can have some drawbacks compared to
using a direct client such as KolabDroid (or Outlook or Kontact or
Thunderbird) in its native environment. But the Kolab developers tend
to not get directly involved into the client development. The Kolab
format specification is the common base here that defines on how a
client needs to exchange data with the server. There are many Kolab
client implementors out there - free software developers as well as
companies - that generate client implementations based on the format.

So when it comes to the clients we primarily provide the discussion
platform for all things Kolab.

> Furthermore I noticed that you don't mention KolabDroid on the Kolab
> clients webpage [2]. Is this by intention, or is this possibly my first
> contribution ;) ?

I don't actually know what the criterias for adding clients on that
page has been in the past. But I don't see any reason to not add the
client there as long as it is desired by the developers of this client.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Greetings,
> Kevin Möllering