Best way to reconstruct metadata for a user's folder?

Skip Morse skipmorse at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 18:58:13 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at kolabsys.com> wrote:
> Zitat von Skip Morse <skipmorse at gmail.com>:
>
>> It appears that I may have something wrong with a user's folder.
>>
>> As far as I can tell it's just the user's "Outlook Inbox" that is
>> effected.  I'm not really sure what's going wrong, only that when I'm
>> in cyradm and issue: info "user/problemuser/Inbox at domain.com" cyradm
>> will hang without displaying any info.
>>
>> I've tried sharing that user's folder with my user to see if the
>> change might some how force a recreation of the metadata (didn't
>> work), it also would not allow me to 'download' via the toltec
>> connector any of the mails in that folder.  Horde will also timeout if
>> I click on that folder to view it's contents.
>>
>> What's the best way to correct this?
>>
>> There are a bunch of folders beneath the "Inbox" folder (they have not
>> problems with 'info'), if I need to delete the "Inbox" folder, then
>> recreate it (or let the Toltec connector recreate it), I guess I could
>> just take all those folders and move them to a new parent folder
>> first.  I'm thinking Horde might be quickest/best for this. Then copy
>> all the mails from 'Inbox' to somewhere, then just delete that folder?
>>
>> I'm also wondering if a name change might work?
>>
>> OR
>>
>> If I could just set the metadata manually that would probably be the
>> easiest, but I've tried modifying an entry from another mailbox (using
>> out put from "kolab-mailboxinfo.pl -c") and it must not have worked
>> because it still doesn't display:
>>
>> mboxcfg "user/problemuser/Inbox at domain.com"
>> /vendor/kolab/folder-type mail.inbox
>>
>> Maybe there's a step I'm missing, I haven't really been able to come
>> up with a good google search term.  Maybe there's something in the
>> metadata that I need to remove that's causing this issue?
>>
>> So far this seems to be the only user and folder effected on the
>> system... but after fixing this I'll run the script again and see if
>> it fails anywhere else...
>
> This sounds like you should use the "/kolab/bin/cyrreconstruct" tool
> on the folder. It is a somewhat cryptic command but I believe our wiki
> lists how to use it. It should fix the cyrus databases for the folder.
>
> Of course before fiddling around with any of this you should ensure
> you have a decent backup of the data.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gunnar

 Thanks, I really appreciate the response.

 I was thinking that might do the trick, I was sure if it would really
 recreate the folder or not.  It's definitely worth a shot and sounds
 like that would be the easiest way to do it.  I'm in the process of
 getting a test server going (this is in VM anyway, so it makes it a
 little easier), I'll try it there first and report back.

 -Skip