Problems with contacts

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue May 11 06:56:42 CEST 2010

Hi Albrecht,

Quoting Albrecht Dreß <albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a self-compiled Kolab 2.2.3 server, using Kontact
> (address book ver. 4.4.2), Outlook/Toltec and Horde as user apps.
> Probably following some playing with SyncML (synckolab), I see some
> issues with contacts.
>
> First, not all contacts shown in Kontact are shown in Horde.  The
> "raw" messages in the imap spool look just fine afaict.
>
> I simply modified one contact by adding a char in the name, and on
> the server, the old object was replaced by a new one, and suddenly
> it appeared in Horde.  Unfortunately, I forgot to make a diff
> before, so I tried to repeat the trick with a second contact.  Now
> Kontact kept the "old" object on the server, but added a *new* one
> on the server, with exactly the same <uid>...</uid>.  Again, the new
> contact shows up in Horde.
>
> Looking at the diff (diff -uBb) of the two objects, the structure is
> just the same (multipart/mixed, with a text/plain and a
> application/x-vnd.kolab.contact).  I attach a (anonymised) full diff
> of the objects to this message.  Any idea what goes wrong here, and
> where I could start debugging further?  And, of course, how I could
> get my contacts back again in Horde *and* get rid of the duplicates?

The diff you provided seems to indicate that synckolab was the last
client writing the object before you edited it with Kontact. At least
that is what I assume from the text part of the message. The "product"
tag still shows Horde::Kolab which is strange but apparently that tag
was left untouched (each client should update this tag if the object
is being created/modified).

Horde seems to have problems parsing the object so it does not get
displayed. Kontact does not seem to have that problem but apparently
it also has some trouble with some of the objects otherwise it would
not duplicate the entry.

I looked at the diff and at some of the code sections of the Horde
Kolab XML format parser but I did not see anything obvious.

What you could do:

Verify that indeed only synckolab entries are causing that problem.
That would help to locate the origin of the problem and allow us to
generate further test cases. If this is the case which version are you
using?

And then you could simply grab one of the object that are not
displayed by Horde and attach it to an issue in our tracker. I could
then run it in a test suite and check why it does not get parsed.

Cheers,

Gunnar