Shared folders in mixed case op upper xase

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Jun 14 17:57:33 CEST 2010

Quoting Alexander Gran <alexg at moduleworks.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Am Montag 14 Juni 2010, 10:54:50 schrieb Christian Rößler:
>> So, which file(s) would I need to edit to have the mailbox
> created in
>> mixed/upper case, too?
>
> I'd supect glitches all over the place, but it is kolabd
> that creates the mailboxes based on the ldap entries.
> On debian that should be libkolab-perl, with most files
> beeing under /usr/share/perl5/Kolab

I wondered why we actually lower-case the shared folder names. This is
the issue related to the introduction of strtolower():

https://issues.kolab.org/issue635

And this is the corresponding commit:

http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/kolab-webadmin/kolab-webadmin/www/admin/sharedfolder/Attic/sf.php.diff?r1=1.14&r2=1.15&hideattic=0

Quite some time ago :)

So the original problem came from the desire to send mail to the
shared folders. Nowadays we advise to avoid the use of globally shared
folders and rather use regular user accounts with corresponding ACL
settings.

The question whether we actually support mailing to shared folders
directly has been asked a few times (even from the devs) and I don't
think we found a definite answer to that.

I think people tend to like that concept but I guess there is no use
case that couldn't be solved by using a regular account. If that is
the case we should probably document this better somewhere. Maybe even
on the web admin page for the creation of shared folders.

Cheers,

Gunnar