Just update kontact, not the rest of KDE, or 'wrap' kontact - anyone tried this?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jan 28 11:40:03 CET 2010

Am Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010 11:20:32 schrieb Christian Rößler:
> well, the people here use a 'centralized' Server for running their
> programs via ssh -X.
>
> The problem I have is that the Linux version on this server is not the
> youngest, and also not the Kontact/KDE-PIM along with KDE. I would be
> eager to find a way getting around updating this server first.
>
> So I wanted to ask: Is there a possibility to just update KDE-PIM
> without updating the whole of KDE? Has anyone tried to 'wrap' KDE-PIM
> along with it's needed libraries to try out different versions of KDE-PIM?

To get a good KDEPim and its Kolab Client functions, you shall have the
necessary underlying libs like kdelibs in a recent enough version.
Then you can update kdepim.
E.g the Kontact e35 runs on Debian Etch and we have published quite a few
versions. However you have to know which version of the underlying libraries
are the minimum.

If you really need two revisions which are wide apart, you probaby need to
install the KDE stack fully several times, which is also possible.

> I have already asked this on the KDE-PIM mailing list (which i thought
> to be more appropriate), by the way, but just got the tip to ask here:).

Wow, I would have expected them to know better than us. ;)
Bernhard