recommended filesystem for kolab

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Tue Jan 12 19:01:02 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm setting up a kolab install.  The kolab directories will be on an
external SAS RAID array on Debian Lenny.  I was just about to format those
partitions and began wondering what the ideal filesystem would be.

My default (like most people) would be ext3 -- in this case with noatime
and nodiratime (or possible relatime) options.  I guess XFS might be an
option but I'm not as used to it.  I'm also aware that some issues have
been mopped up recently in ext3:

	http://lwn.net/Articles/328363/

so I may go for a recent kernel.  Is there a major benefit to be had from
using some other filesystem such as XFS?

Gavin