viewing ICS calendar in outlook 2007

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Feb 22 08:54:08 CET 2010

Hi Gavin,

Quoting Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie>:

> Hi,
>
> we can't work out how to get Outlook 2007 to view ICS calendars -- it
> appears to actually try the HTTP request, but gives up when asked for
> authentication if we point it at:
>
> https://<server>/client/rpc.php/kronolith/<emailaddress>/<emailaddress>.ics
>
> As an experiment, we tried:

> but it refuses to even try that (even if you URL encode the username and
> password).  It would appear this is a common problem and that Google
> have worked around it by creating an unauthenticated  "secret url" which a
> user can paste into Outlook -- effectively embedding a password of sorts in
> the URL.
>
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/microsoft-office/view-your-google-calendar-in-outlook-2007/
>
> Is there some way to do this in kolab?

What you can also try is to allow anonymous access to the *.ics files.
You'll find a description here:
http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/doc/raw-howtos/anonymous-ics-export.txt?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

If that is not what you need then we should probably look at options
to somehow embed the username/password in the Url. We are in general
interested to support the different calendaring use cases with the
Kolab server. So if something does not work as desired we might find
the time to fix it :)

> Is Google's method worth
> considering, something like
>
> https://<server>/client/rpc.php/kronolith/<emailaddress>/<username>:<secret>/<emailaddress>.ics
>
> with the right apache rewrite rules and/or PHP code, I suppose this might
> be workable?  I appreciate that it's horde/kronolith would need to change
> but is there any sense in this?
>
> By contrast, sunbird/lightning download the calendar perfectly, but they
> don't seem able to use F/B info :-(

Do you point at the F/B info under http://example.com/freebusy/... or
do you use http://example.com/client/...? The first one is correct,
the second one is not.