kolab aliases and distribution lists

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Feb 12 17:02:17 CET 2010

Quoting Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie>:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>
>> >2. Take an account of a former user who has left and alias it to their
>> >   replacement staff member, eg.
>> >	old_user:  new_user
>>
>> We still lack a decent way of retiring users on the Kolab server.
>
> Is this not what the alias feature would do now (admittedly it goes to both
> then, not just the alias)?
>
>> >or
>> >email to account1 at domain to go to alias1 at domain?  In the former case, if I
>> >set up account1 at domain with the alias1 at domain, does the email go to both
>> >account1 and account2?
>>
>> Here I don't follow. I assume you meant account2 at domain.
>
> You're quite right, sorry.
>
>> But this is not allowed. Each mail-address has to be unique on the server
>> and the web admin ensures that this is the case. If you need mail going
>> to alias1 at domain to be sent to both account1 and account2 you need to
>> make alias1 at domain a distribution list.
>
> I see.  So two people can't share an alias -- the mail goes to the primary
> user and a single further alias?  That's a shame.  While I can appreciate
> that the distributions lists are there, where you have 500+ users, they can
> be pretty difficult to handle, particularly given you can't browse for
> users.  I was hoping to add the alias <dept>@<ourdomain> to each user's own
> account and then assemble the different <dept> into <allusers> and other
> distribution lists.
>
> I have to say, looking at it the config, I'm slightly surprised that this
> is the case:
>
> query_filter =
> (&(!(kolabDeleteFlag=*))(|(alias=%s)(mail=%s))(!(cn:dn:=external)))
>
> surely that will match a real email account and anyone who has that alias
> set on their account?

Well, that is correct :) The limitation I mentioned is only imposed by
the web admin. You could modify your LDAP directly (using ldapvi or
luma or ...) and set the same alias on different accounts. I currently
can't think of a reason why you should not do that :) but I'm sure the
webadmin restriction is there for a reason.

>> >We'd prefer not to have everyone see the latter alias though.
>>
>> The distribution list can be set to "hidden".
>
> I see, thanks.  The text on it suggests that anyone who is
> authenticated will see
> those lists:
>
>   "Check here to make this distribution list available only to
>    authenticated users"
>
> Perhaps that means authenticated to LDAP and the autocomplete doesn't
> authenticate.

No I believe "available" means that you may send to it only from your
internal network. You can't send to it from outside of the Kolab
server. This is a limitation I forgot to mention but if I understood
you correctly it should not matter in your specific case. The entry
for the distribution list goes into the "cn=internal" branch of your
LDAP tree and the only relevant ACL for that would be

access to dn="cn=internal,dc=itzcuintli,dc=aztec,dc=intevation,dc=de"
         by
dn="cn=nobody,cn=internal,dc=itzcuintli,dc=aztec,dc=intevation,dc=de"
read
         by * search stop

So only the "nobody" user has read access here.

Cheers,

Gunnar