kolab aliases and distribution lists

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Fri Feb 12 16:45:34 CET 2010

Hi,

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:

> >2. Take an account of a former user who has left and alias it to their
> >   replacement staff member, eg.
> >	old_user:  new_user
>
> We still lack a decent way of retiring users on the Kolab server.

Is this not what the alias feature would do now (admittedly it goes to both
then, not just the alias)?

> >or
> >email to account1 at domain to go to alias1 at domain?  In the former case, if I
> >set up account1 at domain with the alias1 at domain, does the email go to both
> >account1 and account2?
>
> Here I don't follow. I assume you meant account2 at domain.

You're quite right, sorry.

> But this is not allowed. Each mail-address has to be unique on the server
> and the web admin ensures that this is the case. If you need mail going
> to alias1 at domain to be sent to both account1 and account2 you need to
> make alias1 at domain a distribution list.

I see.  So two people can't share an alias -- the mail goes to the primary
user and a single further alias?  That's a shame.  While I can appreciate
that the distributions lists are there, where you have 500+ users, they can
be pretty difficult to handle, particularly given you can't browse for
users.  I was hoping to add the alias <dept>@<ourdomain> to each user's own
account and then assemble the different <dept> into <allusers> and other
distribution lists.

I have to say, looking at it the config, I'm slightly surprised that this
is the case:

query_filter = (&(!(kolabDeleteFlag=*))(|(alias=%s)(mail=%s))(!(cn:dn:=external)))

surely that will match a real email account and anyone who has that alias
set on their account?

> >We'd prefer not to have everyone see the latter alias though.
>
> The distribution list can be set to "hidden".

I see, thanks.  The text on it suggests that anyone who is authenticated will see
those lists:

  "Check here to make this distribution list available only to
   authenticated users"

Perhaps that means authenticated to LDAP and the autocomplete doesn't
authenticate.

Gavin