Kontact Mail Client Setup in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Christoph Wickert wickert at kolabsys.com
Fri Aug 6 10:58:39 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 03 August 2010 17:42:49 Alexander Schröter wrote:
> Hi
>
> I updated to the new Ubuntu LTS.
>
> As far as I understand thanks to the updated Wiki.
> http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/KDE_Kolab_Client#lenny_unstable
> I shouldn't use KDE4 Kontact. Personal experience says Akonadi is not ready
> for use at least with Kolab. But I want a working KDE PIM with Kolab.

I'm using kdepim 4.4.5 on Fedora for production. Only the adressebook is a
little tricky, it needs some configuration to work with Kolab, but after that,
everything is fine. Not sure what the situation is like on Kubuntu, I have
heared some complainants in the past.

> So am I right, that the best Option for me is to install enterprise35 ?

> If so can someone please Explain how to this. I so far thought I should add
>
> deb http://files.kolab.org/apt/ubuntu lucid experimental
> deb-src http://files.kolab.org/apt/ubuntu lucid experimental
>
> to the Repositories and update. My Problem I think is that the new Version
> of Kontact is newer than the enterprise35 one and therefor not marked for
> installation or update. I am sorry if that is totally wrong but thats what
> I thought.

Your approach is right, but you will need to use apt pinning to tell apt to
prefer the packages from files.kolab.org although they are older.

Regards,
Christoph

--
Christoph Wickert