What about starting to use project-builder for native packages?

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Tue Apr 13 14:01:39 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:47:57PM +0200, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Hi (especially to the native packagers),
>
> would it be okay to start building (or at least to start trying to
> build) packages via project-builder (http://trac.project-builder.org/)?
>
> I looked a little bit closer at the tool at the end of last week and I
> got the impression that this would serve us well. I admit this was not
> yet an in-depth check but at the moment I'm pretty convinced it should
> allow us to create simple packages for several distributions at the same
> time.
>
> Mathieu suggested using this tool a while ago. Richard suggested using
> the OpenSUSE build system. While I like that system it does not deliver
> packages for a specific distribution that is (still) critical to the
> Kolab server: OpenPKG. project-builder is probably slightly more
> complicated but it also is somewhat more flexible.

It seems possible to have an openpkg target at the openSUSE Build Service (OBS):
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2010-04/msg00117.html

Would it be possible to provide Adrian S. (OBS maintainer / developer)
with openpkg packages that are needed to e.g build the PEAR packages?

I still see problems that are to be solved, like e.g the specific
openpkg spec file.  But all of this might be solvable....

--
Richard