What about starting to use project-builder for native packages? (was: Re: Next Suse Kolab version?)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Apr 12 23:47:57 CEST 2010

Hi (especially to the native packagers),

would it be okay to start building (or at least to start trying to
build) packages via project-builder (http://trac.project-builder.org/)?

I looked a little bit closer at the tool at the end of last week and I
got the impression that this would serve us well. I admit this was not
yet an in-depth check but at the moment I'm pretty convinced it should
allow us to create simple packages for several distributions at the
same time.

Mathieu suggested using this tool a while ago. Richard suggested using
the OpenSUSE build system. While I like that system it does not
deliver packages for a specific distribution that is (still) critical
to the Kolab server: OpenPKG. project-builder is probably slightly
more complicated but it also is somewhat more flexible.

What I would like to start with - and this is the reason why I respond
specifically to this mail of Richard - is to package the PEAR based
packages via project-builder. Richards confusion is justified: The
PEAR packages are not being downloaded from pear.horde.org at the
moment. The Horde Project will only use full blown PEAR packaging for
Horde 4. Currently I derive the Horde PEAR packages from CVS and
upload the snapshots to files.kolab.org.

But building packages for several distributions should be rather
trivial as I already reduced the PEAR package specs to a package.info
file containing some package specific variables and a generic
spec-file template. project-builder is not that different from that
approach.

So if we could collaborate on getting a first set of packages for the
Kolab server this way I believe the native packagers could benefit
from the work I'm doing on the PEAR packaging.

Cheers,

Gunnar