Q: Kolab and Mac OS X?

Till Adam till at kdab.com
Thu Nov 12 11:52:31 CET 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009 10:22:05 Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> Hi Till:
>
> Thanks a lot for your information!
>
> Am Montag 02 November 2009 08:49:34 schrieb Till Adam:
> > There is no Kolab plugin for Apple's mail or calendar application, to the
> > best of my knowledge.
>
> A plug-in for Apple's applications would be cool as then the OS X sync
>  infrastructure could probably be used ootb...  Or does Kontact/Mac (and
>  Win?) support syncing mobile devices?

Well, syncing is a complicated topic, so there is no clear yes or no answer,
but some devices can be synchronized, yes, with Kontact. I agree, though, an
automated way to sync with apple's calendar and addressbook would be nice.
Exporting the calendar to an ical file via horde and then setting that as a
calendar in ical gets you some of the way there. Appe mail does support imap,
so that part is no problem.

> > Kontact, however works fine. You can install version 4.x from macports
> > and set it up using the kolabwizard, just like on Linux.
>
> I see.  Do you know if it uses the "native" (Quartz) qt, or X11 version?

It uses native qt. I just installed it on my new Snow Leopard Macbook Pro,
btw, works fine.

> I'm not really familiar with Macports (I mostly run Ubuntu um my old G4
>  Powermac... ;-), so it's probably my fault the I could not find "kontact"
>  in the ports list <http://www.macports.org/ports.php>.  Do you have a
>  pointer by chance?
>
> > There might also be fink packages, in the meantime, but I haven't kept
> > current with them lately. On files.kolab.org you can also find an older
> > version of an OSX installer that we built a while ago, but it's not
> > current. Still, maybe useful for trying it out. Hopefully there will be a
> > new one soon.
>
> That would of course be great!
>
> There is a nasty issue (#3582) which prevents kontact/Win from working
>  properly under some circumstances, btw, and afaik it could also influence
>  a MacOS X version, at least is the storage is on a hfs+ drive.  Would be
>  great if this could also be addressed.

We're doing our best with what time and funding allow.

Till