Kontact on Linux w/o kde

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri May 15 22:52:40 CEST 2009

On Thursday 14 May 2009, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I try to run Kontact on Ubuntu 9.04, but without a full kde
> installation, i.e. in a Gnome environment.  Ubuntu 9.04 comes
> withkontact 4:4.2.2-0ubuntu1.  Everything seems to run smoothly, with
> the following exceptions:
>
> (1) clicking on a http uri in a mail results in a pop-up reading
> "Keine Verbindung zum Rechner xxx: Unknown error";
> (2) Free/Busy lists simply don't work.  For each and every
> participant there is always a red bar.  The puzzling thing is that
> the Apache logs on the Kolab server say that kontact doesn't query
> the server.
>
> I guess for (1) might be a config file/option which can be changed
> via the KDE control centre, but I don't want to install it.  Maybe
> someone can tell me how to create the file manually as to point to
> Firefox?

Hmm. By default, KDE will choose the application best suitable for the
type of file the URL points to. This decision is made based on the
installed .desktop files. Maybe there's something wrong.

To use Firefox for all URLs add
BrowserApplication[$e]=!/usr/bin/firefox
to the [General] section of ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals

Regards,
Ingo