Kolab authenticating through Active Directory (Windows AD)

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Fri May 8 01:21:01 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Lucas Hendricks
<LHendricks at austinent.com> wrote:
> I have been digging around for the next step in integrating our network with
> Kolab which would be to have Kolab authenticate against our windows domain.
> I have been digging in the wiki and around the web, but this is the closest
> thing I've found from the list in 2004:
>
> http://www.kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-users/2004-April/000081.html

Another idea :

use pwdump to extract lanman password from your windows SAM.

http://www.openwall.com/passwords/microsoft-windows-nt-2000-xp-2003-vista

compile openldap to support lanman password
sync your window password into your ldap

I I did it for one user, it works ! But I have no scripts to automate
the job :-(

> Given how old that message is, I was wondering if this has been
> sophisticated since then, or if it's even still valid in Kolab 2.2.1.  It
> was considered experimental and undocumented in April 2004.
>
> I'll be glad to make a wiki page for it once I find out how to do it.  I'm
> sure I can one way or another.  I don't necessarily need Kolab to
> automatically create mailboxes, I just want it to authenticate the password
> against the AD which seems like it should not be too complicated (it might
> even be as simple as changing the ldap servers in the sasl.conf.template to
> point to an AD server?
>
> Thanks,
> Lucas

Alain Spineux