Q: Using a stock OpenLDAP install as replica?

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Fri Mar 20 09:18:07 CET 2009

Am 20.03.2009 05:32:04 schrieb(en) Gunnar Wrobel:
> As we don't patch/modify the OpenLDAP on the Kolab Server in any way
> I think this should be no problem.

Ah, that's good!

> Did you wish to install the 32-bit machine as full Kolab server? If
> so, you might just adapt the LDAP server location in kolab.conf in
> the main 64-bit host. This might already work.

I would actually prefer not to install the whole Kolab (as describen in
the manual), as we currently only serve ~35 accounts.  My intention is
just to have a fallback if OpenLDAP from Kolab 2.2.0 on the 64-bit
Hardy box goes wild.  The smallest possible effort would of course to
just install the openldap server coming with the (Ubuntu, FC, whatever)
disto, tweak the slapd.conf from kolab, and go ahead.

However, apparently all up-to-date distos come with OpenLDAP 2.4 these
days, and there the replication mechanism has changed from slurpd to
syncrepl.  I couldn't figure out yet if and how they are compatible...
So maybe I should actually have a full Kolab slave install unless I
figure that out.  Anyway, if anyone has more insight into that, any
pointer would be really appreciated!

Thanks, Albrecht.