Restore folder from backup (kolab 2.04)

Jacques Hylkema j.hylkema at intronics.nl
Wed Mar 4 12:46:07 CET 2009

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your response.

ITSEF Admin schreef:
> On Wednesday 4 March 2009 09:45:36 Jacques Hylkema wrote:
>
>> I have problems restoring a folder of one of my users, which he
>> accidentally deleted.
>>
>> I tried the following:
>> - Restored the folder from a backup using scp
>> - The folder in question is:
>> /kolab/var/imapd/spool/domain/intronics.nl/user/j^m^dekker/Leveranciers/R--
>> S - Changed the owner and group of the folder and all subfolders and files
>> to kolab-r / kolab-r
>> - su - kolab-r
>> - /kolab/bin/cyrreconstruct -r -f
>>
> user/j^m^dekker/Leveranciers/*@intronics.nl
>
> Have you tried reconstructing the top level folder? I.e.:
>
> /kolab/bin/cyrreconstruct -r -f user/j^m^dekker/Leveranciers at intronics.nl

This gives the following result:
user/j.m.dekker/Leveranciers at intronics.nl

If I use:

/kolab/bin/cyrreconstruct -r -f user/j^m^dekker/Leveranciers/*@intronics.nl

then I see all folders and subfolders below Leveranciers in the result.
(not Leveranciers itself) so I tried:

/kolab/bin/cyrreconstruct -r -f user/j^m^dekker/Leveranciers*@intronics.nl

which does the same as above, but does include the Leveranciers folder
itself.
However, still no sign of the R--S folder...
> As far as I remember this is necessary to tell Cyrus about the new folder - it
> will not recognise it automatically.
>
> Also, I strongly recommend to re-calculate your quotas after you have restored
> your folders, otherwise they can get quite out of whack. Cyrus does not do
> this for you if you add/delete mail "manually" to/from the spool. The command
> is:   su - kolab-r -c "/kolab/bin/cyrquota -f"
> A word of caution: This will recalculate *all* quotas - there seems to be no
> easy way to recalculate the quota for only one user. Also, if you already
> have restored/deleted manually in the spool in the past, your quotas may
> already be wrong. If this is  the case, the recalculation can produce very
> strange results. Running it more than once can help, or, if that does not
> help, reconstruct the complete mailbox of any user whose quota is off, then
> re-run the quota command.

OK, That's good to know. In this case, the user in question has no quota
set, because his mailbox is about 6GB. I have found that setting a quota
larger than 3GB gives problems on Kolab 2.0.4.

> Regards,
>
> Thomas

I think I have to follow another procedure:

Create a (temporary) kolab mailserver with the latest version of kolab.
Create the user in kolab, and restore the folder to that mailserver.
reconstruct the folder on that mailserver.
Add a new account to Thunderbird for the temporary mailserver
Drag and drop the folder from the new temporary account to the original
account

Does this seem to be a good workaround to you?

Thanks for your co-operation.

Jacques

This outbound message from Intronics B.V. has been checked for all known
viruses by KPN MailScan (IV-Scan), powered by MessageLabs.