Postfix Domain forwarding question

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 10:49:01 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Thomas Arendsen Hein
<thomas at intevation.de> wrote:
> * Christian Funke <funke at hiskp.uni-bonn.de> [20090130 17:22]:
>> I have set up a kolab server to serve mail for DOMAIN.COM, unfortunately I
>> also have to provide support for a legacy domain OLDDOMAIN.COM, for which the
>> users are identical and the mail for user at OLDDOMAIN.COM is to be delivered to
>> user at DOMAIN.COM.  I habe realized this by modiying in
>>
>> /kolab/etc/postfix/main.cf
>>
>> mydestination = DOMAIN.COM OLDDOMAIN.COM
>
> This line is not needed.

It think this line is wrong, you dont have any mailboxes for
someone at OLDDOMAIN.COM, only for someone at DOMAIN.COM

Then the correct one is below !

mydestination = DOMAIN.COM

>> /kolab/etc/postfix/virtual
>>
>> @OLDDOMAIN.COM                @DOMAIN.COM

then to accept email for OLDDOMAIN.COM, you must add

OLDDOMAIN.COM      anything

in your virtual file, and keep the line above (with the @)

This is the way you create aliases inside postfix !

Don't forget to modify the template and run kolabconf

>> This setup works so far but has the drawback that any mail for @OLDDOMAIN.COM
>> will be accepted whether the user exists or not and then it will be internally
>> bounced. Is there a more elegant/efficient solution to solve this problem?

I wrote some notes in the wiki about "domain alias" (or aliases)

> Unfortunately I do not know a solution for this, too.
> You could add one line for every email address that has to be
> forwarded, maybe this could be automated with an LDAP query and
> search/replace.

Maybe integrate this (domain alias management) into the kolab daemon kolabd;
it will search for all mail and alias no having  the counterpart in
the domain aliases and create them.

(|(&(mail=*@DOMAIN.COM)(!mail=*@DOMAIN.COM))
(&(alias=*@DOMAIN.COM)(!alias=*@DOMAIN.COM))
)

Then iterate over the result and create the missing entries, then
repeat this for every domain aliases !
And do this for every modification into the ldap ! This will increase
the load a little bit but how to do this in
an other  way.

Regards.

> If you find a solution, please tell us.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas Arendsen Hein
>
> --
> thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
> Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998
> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you