New native Windows and Mac OS Clients: first beta of Kontact Enterprise 4

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Fri Jan 16 13:48:50 CET 2009

On Friday 16 January 2009 03:36:17 am Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> On Donnerstag, 15. Januar 2009, Troy Carpenter wrote:
> > Overnight Kontact crashed.  When I re-ran the program, I noticed that
> > most of my email was missing from the local store (using disconnected
> > IMAP), and kmail started downloading all the emails again.
>
> arg, this sounds nasty. We had tried this for a large data store recently
> and it worked with two attempts to sync it fully, so this is unexpected
> and was running in our tests. Thanks for testing it and keeping up with the
> issues.

I have 1.2 gig over 80 folders in my IMAP account.  That's not counting shared
folders.

> > During that process I got
> > the following error message:
> >
> > Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
> > Assertion Failed!
> > Program: C:\Program Files\Kontact\bin\kontact.exe
> > File: F:\kderoot-20081020\svn\branches...\kmfold...map.cpp
> > Line: 552
> >
> > Expression: msg
> >
> > abort, retry, ignore
> > --------------
> >
> > Any of those selections causes Kontact to then crash.  If I click the
> > debug button on the crash dialog, everything goes away.
>
> You would need to run gdb before the crash and attach it to the process
> to get a useful backtrace.
> It is quite easy.

I trust I can find instructions on how to do that somewhere.  It doesn't look
like you've had time to post those instructions on the wiki page.

> > The program will not work now.  I don't know if the data is corrupt, or
> > if the program install has become messed up.
>
> What happens when you restart it?
> Note that you can rebuild the index on folders if the index would come
> corrupted. Do a right click on the top folder and use the trouble shooting
> menu to rebuild the index. This sometimes helps.

Ok, that first statement was a bit overdone.  The program crashes when it
starts the sync process with the IMAP server.  Since I stupidly set that to
happen at startup, it crashes almost right away.  If I can stop the sync at
startup, then I might be able to try rebuilding the index on the folders.

> Best,
> Bernhard

Thanks to you and everyone who is working on the windows port.  Although my
main desktop machines at home and work run Kubuntu/KDE/Kontact in conjunction
with my Kolab server, I still have a few laptops and users on Windows that
have traditionally been cut off from the calendar & contact portions of my data
without jumping though major hoops.

Troy