New native Windows and Mac OS Clients: first beta of Kontact Enterprise 4

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jan 16 09:36:17 CET 2009

Hi Troy,

On Donnerstag, 15. Januar 2009, Troy Carpenter wrote:
> Overnight Kontact crashed.  When I re-ran the program, I noticed that most
> of my email was missing from the local store (using disconnected IMAP), and
> kmail started downloading all the emails again.

arg, this sounds nasty. We had tried this for a large data store recently
and it worked with two attempts to sync it fully, so this is unexpected
and was running in our tests. Thanks for testing it and keeping up with the
issues.

> During that process I got
> the following error message:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
> Assertion Failed!
> Program: C:\Program Files\Kontact\bin\kontact.exe
> File: F:\kderoot-20081020\svn\branches...\kmfold...map.cpp
> Line: 552
>
> Expression: msg
>
> abort, retry, ignore
> --------------
>
> Any of those selections causes Kontact to then crash.  If I click the debug
> button on the crash dialog, everything goes away.

You would need to run gdb before the crash and attach it to the process
to get a useful backtrace.
It is quite easy.

> The program will not work now.  I don't know if the data is corrupt, or if
> the program install has become messed up.

What happens when you restart it?
Note that you can rebuild the index on folders if the index would come
corrupted. Do a right click on the top folder and use the trouble shooting
menu to rebuild the index. This sometimes helps.

Best,
Bernhard
--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)