Groups for shared folders

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Wed Jan 14 16:56:50 CET 2009

Quoting Alex <lbf at dragonrising.com>:

> Hi Bernhard,
>
> Thanks so much for the assistance, though I'm still getting stuck.
>
> I've:
>
> 1) Gone to distribution lists and create new list:
>
> List name: staff-group at mydomain.com
> Members: alex.kent at mydomain.com
> Hidden: unchecked
>
> 2) Created a shared folder:
>
> Folder name: staff-shared at mydomain.com
> Folder type: mails
> Permission for UID/email/GID: "group:staff-group at mydomain.com"
> Permission='all'
>
> This generates the error:
>
> "No UID or GID group:staff-group at mydomain.com"
>
> It does accept the UID if I drop "group:" eg:

Indeed, you don't need the "group:" prefix. The mail address is enough
to identify that this is a group.

I tested that the whole procedure works fine on the recent
Kolab-Server-2.2.1-beta-1 release but I believe it should also work on
2.2.0 as I don't think we changed anything in that area.

Can you check if you see the right permissions on the shared folder
when using the cyradm tool (/kolab/bin/cyradm).

This is the example session when I tested this:

/kolab/bin/cyradm -u manager localhost
Password:
example.com> lm
shared.shared at example.com (HasNoChildren)
user/1 at example.com (HasNoChildren)
user/2 at example.com (HasNoChildren)
example.com> lam shared.shared at eample.com
group:group at example.com lrswipteda
anyone lrswipteda
manager lrswipkxtecda

You see that here the permission is marked with
"group:group at example.com lrswipteda". The "group:" prefix is cyrus
specific. Both users (1 at example.com com and 2 at example.com" are members
of "group at example.com". Both see the shared folder (tested via the
Kolab web client).

If it still does not work for you I could test the same procedure on 2.2.0.

Cheers,

Gunnar