Groups for shared folders

Andrew J. Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Tue Jan 13 16:26:54 CET 2009

On January 13, 2009, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Montag, 12. Januar 2009, Alex wrote:
> > Folder name: staff-shared at mydomain.com
> > Folder type: mails
> > Permission for UID/email/GID: "group:staff-group at mydomain.com"
> > Permission='all'
>
> Try "group:staff-group".

I just tested, and I can not make a group address work either.

The syntax to enter a distribution list is the full email address.

list at domain.com

The PHP interface determines it as a distribution list, and prepends "group:"
to the acl entry.

I dug a little bit into the PHP code to see what was going on, and I have
verified that the admin interface seems to be doing it's job, as the acl is
added in LDAP properly :

<ldif>
# testshare at domain.ca, domain.ca
dn: cn=testshare at domain.ca,dc=domain,dc=ca
kolabHomeServer: mail.domain.ca
objectClass: kolabSharedFolder
cn: testshare at domain.ca
acl: group:test at domain.ca all
</ldif>

However ...

With only the group: acl entry, the shared folder does not appear in my
account's subscription list.  Not until I specify the individual user in an
acl.  Only then do I have the option to subscribe to the folder.

I can verify that the group does exist in /kolab/etc/imapd/imapd.group as one
would expect.

I did modify things to test the LDAP entry without the group: on the acl, and
that definitely does not work.  I also just for my own humor :

- added the user UID acl,
- subscribed,
- then added some messages,
- removed the UID, and left the GID acl.
- tried something else on the folder.

All to no avail.   All I did was verify that Kontact acted properly, and told
me I have no rights to a shared folder, and things had been moved into
lost+found for safe keeping.  (Which is exactly what I would expect to
happen.

It appears that cyrus imapd is not utilizing the group: acl properly.   That's
out of my knowledge at the current moment on how to debug without a great
deal of time.   I hope my comments, and information can help someone else
debug this further.

BTW ...

Kolab version 2.2 (OpenPKG)
Kontact Version 1.2.9