Access to special Kolab users is denied

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Wed Feb 25 08:41:06 CET 2009

Quoting Carlos Manuel Ávila Vegas <ioreal at hotmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>  thank you for your answer Alain. Yes the goal was to deny access to
> manager user, but I couldn't
> find to reverse it. I wanted to allow login to the manager user in
> order to change preferences and configuration through the web
> client.
>  The solution was quite simple. I was able to allow login to another
> user as an admin just editing the file
> /kolab/var/kolab/www/client/config/conf.php
>  $conf['auth']['admins'] = array('manager','user at domain.com');
>
> The user "manager" still won't have access to the web
> client, but the rest of valid users will. Note that the user "user"
> is not a special kolab user, so
> it has access to the web client and, from now on, to the
> administration of the kolab environment.

Yes, this is indeed possible. Allowing the manager in Horde is really
not okay as that user has special IMAP rights. This leads to a series
of weird display effects when logging in as "manager" and has
potential for wreaking havoc.

So making a standard user a Horde Admin is okay but definitely not
encouraged. You have to know Horde quite well to be able to use the
web admin frontend within Horde without destroying critical Kolab
configuration settings.

We should improve in that area to ensure that you always retain a
backup of the original configuration so that people can easily revert.

Cheers,

Gunnar