Kontact for Mac OS X experience (so far)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Feb 13 09:14:01 CET 2009

Del,

On Donnerstag, 12. Februar 2009, Del on kolab-users@ wrote:
> I just tried installing the client today. I have not tested the Kolabwizard
> yet, nor actually tried to send mails.

thanks for trying Kontact enterprise4 on Mac, your feedback is highly
appreciated.

> Test system:
> MacBook running Leopard 10.5.5
>
> Experience:
> -The installer worked flawlessly
> -Upon re-boot after installation, the screen resolution was wrong

This one is new. Can you tell us more about this problem?

> -Dragging the binary kontact.app over to the dock went fine, but the icon
> did not follow. However, starting Kontact made the Kontact icon appear on
> the dock instead of system icon from Apple

Known problem.

> -Moving to mail made the window impossible to resize, only after resizing
> the window from clicking KOrganizer tray icon could I again resize the
> Kontact window
> -I did quite a bit of clicking around, and so far only managed to provoke a
> crash from closing the KOrganizer tray process.

Both something that should not happen, and I am unsure if we have report about
it already.

> On the general side I really must applaud kdepim4, it simply looks
> beautiful on Leopard and should be a worthy opponent to Entourage once
> stabilized.

Thanks, I will pass this on as well.

> I see that Macports has Kontact from KDE4.2:
> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/kde/kdepim4/Portfile
> which I would assume is quite stable.  I will see if I get around to
> testing it.
>
> If there is any particular information you would like to see posted, please
> inform me, and I will see what I can do. Also interesting to hear if an
> updated Kontact for Mac on Kolab.org is probable in the near future.

Our idea is to get Kontact enterprise4 into macports and fink ultimately
so updates would come through them. We currently do not have the resources to
create slick installers for all versions. Help always appreciated. :)
So yes, a new version on files.kolab.org is likely once we have it ourselfs.

Of course we are highly interested once you test sending emails, doing
appointments and contacts. We do have a couple of real users of this version,
so we know it should work - but of course it will only get out of beta if we
get more test users.

Thanks again,
Bernhard

--