Hosted Kolab?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Feb 2 08:00:06 CET 2009

Quoting Alex <lbf at dragonrising.com>:

> I'm looking at ways of outsourcing some of my companies various hosting
> tasks we would normally fire up a xen virtual server for, and was
> wondering if anyone offers kolab hosting?
>
> For example, I'm looking at "openx hosted" to serve our advertisements
> and "gradwell" in the UK to host our VOIP PBX.
>
> The advantages to me would be:
>
> + Software upgrades, including security upgrades
> + Managed backups
> + Don't have to worry about hardware faults
>
> Does anyone know if a solution exists, or if it doesn't exist for a reason?

I'd like to say that my company p at rdus does offer a solution here. But
if I'm honest I need to admit that I still don't really offer a
solution as I still did not expand the company beyond the "1
employee"-stage ;)

I don't think there is a specific blocker to offering hosted Kolab. In
my case I just started out with the idea that a hosted Kolab needs a
decent web-based client, too. So I started fixing Horde for Kolab
which turned into a much bigger  project than I originally imagined
and brought me some programming contracts which by now completely fill
my time. Which is the reason for me being stuck at the "1 employee"
stage.

Hosting Kolab takes a decent amount of knowledge about the different
components and I believe it only makes sense if you can throw at least
a team of four to five people at it. You need short reaction times in
the area of commercial e-mail. So the initial costs are not that low
and so far there seems to be nobody willing to take the risk. To
finance a team of four to five employees you need to have quite a few
customers ;)

Cheers,

Gunnar