Using native apache with kolab

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Dec 3 09:13:54 CET 2009

Hi Alex,

Quoting Alex Potter <alex at ap-consulting.co.uk>:

> Currently, I have 2 instances of apache running on the machine that
> acts as my
> general-purpose server. (ubuntu-8.0.4).
>
> My kolab installation was build from the openpkg sources and the kolab
> instance of apache is configured to listen on a non-standard port
> for HTTP, but
> still uses 443 for HTTPS, so as not to interfere with pre-existing uses of
> apache.
>
> Is there something odd about kolab's default apache configuration,
> or would it
> be relatively easy to import the kolab-specific configuration into the other
> instance?

The configuration should be no real problem. In former times we used a
special LDAP authentication module but the newer apaches do not make
this necessary anymore. So the configuration should have become more
portable. Of course you need to extract the relevant bits for the
different sites from the Kolab Apache configuration. This is a little
bit of work as I don't consider our current configuration files to be
very clean. The issue Richard mentioned relates to that.

There is one caveat though: PHP. You need to ensure that your original
Apache provides a mod-PHP that is completely compatible with the one
within the Kolab server. And that one has some Kolab specific patches!
Depending on the distribution you use there might be native PHP
packages patched for Kolab (Debian/Suse). If you try to do this
yourself you will need to invest some time and there is a good chance
to overlook a detail that will lead to problems with the web
applications involved.

The Kolab specific PHP patches can be removed once we move to Horde 4.
But I plan this for 2011 at the moment.

Cheers,

Gunnar