Fetchmail on Kolab from Source

Alexander Schröter webmaster at computational-chemistry.org
Fri Apr 17 12:58:30 CEST 2009

On Friday 17 April 2009 06:29:45 Gunnar Wrobel wrote:

> What is not working when using the instructions? I know I updated them
> once but of course they might not be up-to-date for 2.2.1 anymore. If
> I know what is not working I might be able to fix this.

Instructions on the wiki page worked like a charm. Download and Install wasn't
a problem. Just the configuration is a little unclear to me ... see I just want
fetchmail so it can be used by the web client ... so i figured I should leave
my /kolab/.fetchmailrc empty but than I get:
| fetchmail: WARNING: Running as root is discouraged.
| fetchmail: no mailservers have been specified.
and as far as I can see fetchmail is not running.

> If you configured your external account correctly in the Kolab web
> client and the button does not download any mails that would be a bug
> and you should open an issue in the tracker.

OK here is what I did to check my configuration ... From the University we get
a Horde webmail account so I put in the Information needed. And *tada* worked.
When I tried the same Configuration I only get the Error-Msg "Fetchmail:
Fetched 0 messages from Computational-Chemistry.org".

> The Kolab web client won't create a fetchmailrc file. The
> functionality offered by Horde is a manual pull by clicking on the
> "Fetch mail" button. As fetchmail is not included by default on the
> Kolab server writing a fetchmailrc wouldn't make much sense.

So does Horde use /kolab/bin/fetchmail or is it using some php function? build
to imitate fetchmail?

I actually found a new problem which wasn't there before I cannot create
Folder, Contacts, Notes, Tasks and so on. So I figured this might be the reason
why fetchmail cannot get/create mails.

> Cheers,
>
> Gunnar

Thanks for the Help