Kolab vs Scalix

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Wed Jul 16 16:06:03 CEST 2008

"Liutauras Adomaitis" <liutauras.adomaitis at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everybody,
>
> does anybody knows anything about Kolab and Scalix comparison. We are choosing
> solution for groupware server for 40 users network. All users are with
> Windows workstations. We didn't decided, but as a client we plan to use
> either MS Outlook (2003/2007) or Mozilla Thunderbird. Outlook is more mature,
> but Thunderbird is closer to our "Open Source Spirit".
> We have tested Kolab2 and several connectors to Outlook did not seem to work
> very well (some are not MAPI, the others work very slow). SyncKolab also did
> not act the way we expected. I understand that there maybe our problems, but
> still it is problems for us.
> We did not tested Scalix yet, but got some recommendations about it.
>
> So what does Kolab users think about Kolab and Scalix.
> - Server installation, maintenance and backup
> - Commercial support (this is a big issue for us)

There are several companies offering Kolab support. The
Kolab-Konsortium being the main support partner. So you definitely
have several options there without being glued to a single partner.

> - Outlook support

I always had the impression that the Outlook connectors for the Kolab
Server are pretty good. Maybe you can provide some more details where
they troubled you?

> - Thunderbird support

Thunderbird suppport isn't good in my eyes. I do really like the
SyncKolab-extension for Thunderbird, but this still lacks too many
features that are critical for a fast and reliable Kolab support. I
wouldn't use this in production at the moment.

> - Webmail (Horde vs Scalix Java webmail)

Well, I like Horde :) - I'm Horde developer so I have to love it. But
from the developers perspective I can assure you that Horde has a very
clean code base. I wouldn't say that Horde is very flashy and it might
not impress that much on first sight. But it has a very sound basis
that has been build over years. And this basis is now being used to
add the more flashy parts in areas where it actually makes sense.

Cheers,

Gunnar