BlackBerry ?

Ingo Steuwer steuwer at univention.de
Wed Aug 13 17:11:04 CEST 2008

Am Mittwoch, 13. August 2008 schrieb Jason Komar:
> On August 13, 2008 05:08:50 am kiser Caesar wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm lost, I can't understand if kolab can work with a blackberry. I read
> > some posts but without a clear answer. Who know about it ?
[..]
> You can set up your Blackberry to check your kolab user's inbox like any
> other mail server. To synchronize your contacts and calendar though, you
> need to run Outlook with a connector like Toltec and synchronize at the
> desktop. If you don't use Outlook for email, you're out of luck. There is
> currently no over the air synchronization. Funambol looks like it could
> provide this, but there is currently no kolab connector for Funambol.
> Gunnar Wrobel is working on SyncML support in Horde, but I understand it's
> not ready yet. I'm a little unclear if SyncML support would provide the
> over the air functionality, or if it would only provide desktop
> synchronization with clients other than Outlook.

Horde SyncML will provide server-side syncing, which means you don't need
desktop-sync (or: you must not use desktop-sync too, as it will duplicate
anything).

Blackberrys need a plugin for that. There is an OSS-plugin coming from
Funambol with known limittions, but there are also commercial plugins.

Regards
Ingo

Ingo Steuwer           Projektmanagement        steuwer at univention.de
Univention GmbH        Linux for your Business  fon: +49 421 22 232-43
Mary-Somerville-Str.1  28359 Bremen             fax: +49 421 22 232-99
                       http://www.univention.de