Kolab Horde and SyncML

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Wed Sep 5 06:09:24 CEST 2007

Alessio Cecchi <alessio at skye.it> writes:

> Hello all
>
> one of the big problem/benefits of a groupware, like Kolab, is to keep sync
> tha data (calendar, contacts, mail, ...) with the greater possible number of
> devices like PC Desktop, Notebook, mobile phone or palm, Webmail, etc etc.
>
> For example, i have to keep sync my PC Desktop (KDE PIM), my notebook (KDE
> PIM), my mobile phone (Nokia Communicator 9500), and in emergency case i use
> the web with Horde in order to try a telephone number.
>
> With the SyncML protocol i can make that!
>
> Indirectly i can sync my nokia with kolab through SyncML, infact with the
> opensync tool http://www.opensync.org/ i can sync my KDE Kontact with the
> SyncML client that the phone have.
>
> Also Horde is a SyncML client/server. And i sync my phone with horde.
>
> Why not to use the horde SyncML support for sync Kolab with all devices that
> supports the SyncML protocol instaed of developing dedicate plugins? Or the
> opensynctool with KDE PIM (improvedi in KDE PIM Enterprise Branch?) ?
>
> In the horde-groupware from horde.org SyncML work fine. But in the kolab by
> Gunnnar packages i'm not able to sync my phone with horde.
>
> Why not improve the SyncML support for Kolab?

Simple time constraints :)

Getting Horde to work together with Kolab means that we'll also get
this type of functionality at some point. But right now the main focus
is the more basic stuff (like compatibility with other Kolab clients).

Maybe the influx of patches for fixing this type of addon
functionality will increase when we have the next beta ready. At the
moment all you can do is run Horde CVS and go bug hunting in the code
;)

Cheers,

Gunnar

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg