Kolab with 1500 user's

Nuno Silva nuno.silva at vgertech.com
Tue May 1 18:56:56 CEST 2007

Hello.

rajnish kumar wrote:
> Dear experts and Gunnar sir
>                    Actually now a days i was try to testing open
> source collaboration suits lastly i was stop with zimbra and kolab but
> i see that zimbra is not completly open source suite ultimetly i am on
> the way of kolab so dear i required some advice by all of you.
>
> I have intel based 64 bit server. I want 1500 user's in kolab
>
> 1.  which Operating System should i choose ( Fedora, CentOs, Debian,
> Gentoo ) for kolab.

I'd say to use the one you're most confortable with and has a stable
version with long term support. For me this means CentOS, Debian stable
or Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.

> 2. What Partition should be used for better performance..

Filesystem? Without entering the fs-war, I'd say ext3 or XFS. I use XFS.

> 3. For 1500 hundred user's how much Ram required and speed of
> processor required.

A modern server with 4GB of RAM may work for you... YMMV.

Please note that most cyrus (the IMAP daemon in Kolab) setups are
constrained by the storage performance, not CPU or RAM.

> 4. We required about 2 TB hard disk space for mails so should i go for
> Lvm or  RAID

You should invest as much as you can in storage's reliability and
performance. This is what makes the most difference!

You can go for a SAN setup or hardware RAID or software RAID. Depends on
budget =)

> 5. How kolab support  cluster and high availability .

Depends very much in your storage setup. For me, the easiest way should
be a SAN setup.

Maybe you can search the cyrus-imapd archives for tips and known good
setups. You may want to install other components (ldap server, apache,
etc) in other servers.

I hope this is a good starting point for you learn more.

Regards,
Nuno Silva

P.S. Please note that I don't have any large Kolab setup. I have,
however, large Cyrus setups, so my tips may be more Cyrus oriented.
Maybe in a few months I'll have a large Kolab setup in production :-)