Changing manager password dos't work

Daniel Vergien daniel.vergien at rrz.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Mar 22 17:57:25 CET 2007

Hi Bernhard,

>>I got a problem changing the manager password for kolab. I use
>>/kolab/bin/kolabpasswd, enter the old password, enter to times the new
>>one, the output is "Password changed successfully, please be patient..."
>>and the program terminates without error messages, but the password is
>>not changed.
>>

>check the contents of /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab.conf,
>it should have the new password. Also the hash found there
>should be in /kolab/etc/openldap/slapd.conf entry rootpw.

I reinstalled kolab, because I was thought I may be messed somethink
trying around. After that changeing the password worked one time. The
"plase be patient" message took long time there. But changeing the
password a second time did not work. In kolab.conf the password and the
hash are changeing, but not in slapd.conf.

>>Also restarting kolab after changeing the password did not help.
>>
>>I'm using the 2.1-rc1 on Solaris 10.
>>

>I just tried it on Kolab Server/Openpkg 2.1rc1 on Debian GNU/Linux ppc
>and the script changed the password, but OpenLDAP was not stopped
>correctly and /kolab/bin/openpkg rc openldap stop would also not stop it.
>After killing it manually and restarting, all was fine.
>Can you retry and confirm?

Starting and stoping openladp via "openpkg rc openladap start/stop"
works fine, but is not helping.

Greetings

Daniel