Horde Web Framework, and OpenPKG question

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Wed Apr 18 10:41:34 CEST 2007

Hi Paul,

> 1. I realize that the Horde client is experimental, but I don't
> think the behavior I'm seeing is "normal", even for experimental
> versions of Kolab.
>
>     I'm testing Horde as a web client. When I sign in to Horde as
>     any user, I get an error indicating the following three things:
>
>         Last login: Never
>         Horde/Kolab: Unable to synchronise calendar "": NO, Invalid mailbox name
>         Horde/Kolab: Unable to synchronise calendar "": NO, Invalid mailbox name
>         Horde/Kolab: Unable to synchronise notes "": NO, Invalid mailbox name
>         Horde/Kolab: Unable to synchronise notes "": NO, Invalid mailbox name
>
>     The first error (Last login: Never) wouldn't be weird except I
>     get this on users that I've signed in with 10+ times over, and I
>     use the Logout button to exit in every case rather than just
>     closing the browser window.
>
>     The other two errors are odd because in other cases that I've
>     seen in the forums, a username exists in between the quotes. For
>     instance, others have an error that looks like this:
>
>         Horde/Kolab: Unable to synchronise calendar
>         "someuser at domain.tld's Calendar": NO, Invalid mailbox name
>
>     Mine look like this:
>
>         Horde/Kolab: Unable to synchronise calendar "": NO, Invalid
>         mailbox name
>
>     So where did the variable for my username and folder go?
>
> 2. OpenPKG files and patches:
>
>     I've noticed that all of the Kolab utilities and functions are
>     provided in OpenPKG format. In the case of Horde, when I
>     followed the wiki instructions to integrate Horde into my
>     existing Kolab installation, it took HOURS to do so. And (if
>     that's any indicator), every time a new patch is released for
>     Horde, I'll be doing the same process over again. Is there any
>     way to, well, speed the process up? Usually speaking when I
>     install something additional to an existing product, it comes in
>     a tar.gz file. I unzip the file and follow the INSTALL document
>     step by step, and within an hour or so it either works or it
>     doesn't. Is there a way to do the same with the Kolab OpenPKGs
>     out there? A way to install just the patch instead of it
>     recompiling the whole server suite?
>
>     Keep in mind that I'm VERY new to kolab. It's possible that the
>     above already exists and I'm just not doing it the "right"
>     way. If so, let me know so I can "fix" it!

What version of Horde did you install?

The problem with Horde and Kolab is made especially complex because of
the different versions around. I'll add some more explanations to the
wiki soon:

1) If you use Horde release packages (tar.gz from their website) the
   Kolab support will be rather old or simply broken. The old Kolab
   support was rather problematic and a lot of restructuring has
   happened recently in order to fix that and make Horde a working
   Kolab client. This process has taken some time and any intermediate
   release package Horde made available might have completely broken
   Kolab support.

   => Don't use any released packages from http://horde.org for Kolab
   at the moment.

2) If you use the Horde CVS version you'll get the new structure but
   it is not completed yet. There are still several important patches
   that will need to make it work completely. I am working on that but
   I also currently have no overview about the exact problems you
   might experience.

   => Don't use Horde CVS at the moment.

3) If you installed the newest Kolab-2.1_RC1 you can install the
   packages from
   http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab2_Installation_-_Horde on top
   of your Kolab installation. These are normal OpenPKG pacakges that
   can be installed using the normal obmtool way. The packages
   provided there contain a lot of additional patches for Kolab that
   did not yet make it upstream into Horde. This is the best possible
   Kolab support you'll get for Horde at the moment.

   Nevertheless I must admit that use these packages only in order to
   test my Horde patches on people willing to play around with there
   Kolab server. Your currently installation might be harmed if you
   install those pacakge.

   The situation will hopefully improve once Kolab-2.1 has been
   released.

Cheers,

Gunnar