s/mime and outlook with toltec or konsec

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Oct 24 22:08:20 CEST 2006

On Thursday 19 October 2006 10:49, Giovanni Baroni wrote:
> Doing some tests with toltec and konsec and S/MIME.

Which S/MIME plugin are you using for which Outlook?
Outlook's own implementation was not able to comply
with German S/MIME standards, last time I looked.

> Just found a working solution with konsec (thanks to Klaus Steinberger):
>
> I did the following steps:
>
> changed and uncommented in /kolab/etc/kolab/templates/imapd.conf.template
> tls_ca_file: /kolab/etc/kolab/cacert.pem
>
> then:
> cp /kolab/etc/kolab/ca/cacert.pem /kolab/etc/kolab
> chown root.kolab-r /kolab/etc/kolab/cacert.pem
> chmod 640 /kolab/etc/kolab/cacert.pem
>
> /kolab/sbin/kolabconf
>
> This works so far.

This is a server setting, I am quite surprised that this has anything
to do with S/MIME functionality, which is about emails.
S/MIME with Outlook should work or not work without any Kolab connector,
so can you be more specific about which behaviour is changed
by your modifications?
(If they are useful, you should create an issue about them,
so we can consider adding them to the standard Kolab Server setup.)
Can you also say which Kolab Server you are running specifically?

> But in combination with toltec Plugin i have some other strange problems.
>
> S/MIME signing and encrypting/decrpyting works fine (without any
> modifications in the kolabserver).
> But the sent signed or/and encrypted Messages will not be synced with
> the imap store!

Best is to give a good report to the vendor (Radley Network Technologies CC)
and include the precise version numbers and a way to reproduce the problem.
You can use the public Kolab tracker for this, if you like.

> If i fetch incoming S/MIME Messages there are no syncing Problems.
> Except that there isnt any xml (toltec.dat) cause of content-type is
> application/x-pkcs7-mime;	smime-type=enveloped-data;	name="smime.p7m"
>
> But all outgoing Messages arent stored in the kolab imap store (they
> just are listed in the folder of "gesendete objekte" in outlook.
>
> Maybe someone had similar results and a solution?

The results will vary from S/MIME plugin to S/MIME plugin,
we did some tests with CryptoEx (when it was still available)
and many scenarious worked fine. Problems were usually coming
from interoperability with Kontact or when emails where coming in
directly over a folder and not by POP.

Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner, www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
Germany Coordinator, fsfeurope.org       (Non-Profit Org for Free Software)