Probably naive questions about whether kolab can do what I want

Michael Leupold leupold at leunet.de
Wed May 24 14:35:22 CEST 2006

Hi Chris,

Am Mittwoch, 24. Mai 2006 12:47 schrieb chrisisbd at leary.csoft.net:
> So the question is really whether Kolab is a totally OTT solution to
> synchronising a PDA with a Web PIM?  How much work is involved in
> installing a Kolab server on a Linux system?  I have built and
> installed quite a few things on my Slackware system, e.g. TWiki, so
> I'm happy to put a bit of effort into it but I don't want to disappear
> down a never ending path of library dependencies and such.

You don't have to worry about library dependencies with kolab. Kolab installs
everything it needs into a /kolab subtree. This subtree is self-contained.
Everything you need for kolab comes with kolab.

> Then, having installed Kolab do I *have* to use kpilot to synchronise
> the Palms?  Does this require the whole of KDE (which I don't use
> though I have most of the libraries)?

Kolab itself doesn't have a sync interface. At the moment you have to use a
client's sync interface. You could use kontact+kpilot or outlook+activesync,
though outlook additionally needs a commercial connector (eg. toltec). I also
remember a syncml interface for horde but I don't know if this is working.

> Finally does Kolab itself have a Web interface for users or does one
> have to use Thunderbird, or Horde, or something to use the PIM data?

Kolab only has its own administrative web interface. For interfacing with
users you either need one of the native clients or horde. As far as I know
the horde-kolab interface isn't completely finished, so you better check out
if the features it provides match what you need.

> Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance for any answers.

You're welcome.

Regards,
Michael