Can Horde be fixed? (Re: kolabd package available in Debian sid)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu May 11 12:03:20 CEST 2006

Hi Tobias!

[ In my view we should discuss this on kolab-devel,
thus crossposting and setting a mail-followup-header.]

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 09:24:52AM +0200, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> I'm just subscribed to kolab-dev ;)

> getting up a Horde as Kolabfrontend is possible. The Share-Sync
> code needs some update though, but when that is done, it's equal to
> other kolab clients from a technical point of view.

Does this mean you are using imap in a disconnected mode?
Like the KDE Kontact Client or Outlook with the proprietary connectors.

[..]

> the kolab driver reads the data objects directly from the
> imap server when the user logs in and saves them to the imap server on
> modifications. So no additional database is involved.

Where is your cache that is necessary for the disconnected mode located?
How often is the sync done?

Bernhard wrote:

> > >	b) Horde needs higher privileges. This is in contrast
> > >	   to the Kolab-Webinterface that only works with the
> > >           priviledges of one user. If true, this would hurt the security.
> > >           Note that database application are often designed this way,
> > >	   Kolab can do differently which is a plus.

Jan answered:

> > I'm not sure if this is true, and I'm wondering if this is really a
> > general design issue in that case. I guess it could be solved.

Tobias agreed:

> Indeed, the higher privileges shouldn't be necessary, they can be
> decreased to the user nobody for uid/email -> dn lookups and the normal
> user rights for data object modifications.

This is good to hear, where will the configurations of the user be saved then?
It must be a place where other users cannot write which is not
controled by the Horde code (as it does not have the priviledges as
far as I can understand).

> --
> Separate politics from religion and economy!
> The Councile of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!

BTW: I object to your political statements in the signature.
The Council of the EU is formed by members of the elected government
which are demoncratically controlled. Any parliament can control
their representative in the councile, if they want.

In any democratic state, the legitimate goverment (=politics) should regulate
the borders what religion and economy can do.