Exclude folders from sync?

Andreas Gungl Andreas.Gungl at osp-dd.de
Wed Mar 15 11:55:51 CET 2006

Am Mittwoch, 15. März 2006 11:49 schrieb T. Ribbrock:
> Hi all,
>
> several of our users came to me with this question - maybe someone here
> has an idea, as I haven't... What they would like to do in their
> proko2.0.6 client is to exclude certain folders from the sync with the
> server. Most of our users have some folder which are mostly archives for
> running or finished projects. Those don't get updated very often but
> should stay on the server for backup reasons. However, each and every
> time KMail syncs with the server, it runs through all folders "Retreiving
> permissions". So far, I have not found a way to exclude certain folders
> from this, bu it would be extremely nice if it was possible, as it would
> cut down on the duration of the sync.

Hi Thomas,

the usual recommendation is to use subscription in the DIMAP account in
Kontact. You can add a second account (of online IMAP type) to access all
folders on the same server if needed. I.e. you can access the archive
folders which you're not subscribed to using online IMAP. You subscribe to
the folders which hold data being needed offline. In the account
configuration for your disconnected IMAP account there you choose to access
only folders you're subscribed to.

This is a workaround for the problem that KMail doesn't allow mixed
(online / disconnected AKA cached) mode for folders of one IMAP account.
Too bad there is no cacacity to implement this in KMail, but that's life.

Regards,
Andreas