SyncKolab

Andreas Gungl Andreas.Gungl at osp-dd.de
Thu Mar 9 16:16:59 CET 2006

Am Donnerstag, 9. März 2006 13:48 schrieb eric poscher:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> We could communicate in german if you prefer, but I'll stick to english
> for other users and the archive..

Hi Eric, let's stick to English to let others participate.

> Andreas Gungl schrieb:
> >You should try Kolab 2, it's much more matter than Kolab1.
> >
> >SyncKolab works for me. However, it has some limitations, i.e. some
> >recurrence settings are not interpreted correctly and so on. The best
> > Kolab client is Kontact (not available on Win).
>
> We have a very mixed environment: Ubuntu, OSX, and Windows.
> Most of them use thunderbird though.

Hm, well. In our office, there everybody is free to choose his preferred
client. OSX will bind you to Thunderbird, I guess.
We're runing Horde here as well, but not the newest version. I have to try
the newest one to find out if it can be seriously recommended to
others. ;-) Of course, it is an online only client.

> >You can write a script to put a part of the Kolab LDAP contents (the
> >addresses) into a shared folder. But why don't you access the server
> >directly via LDAP? IIRC you can modify settings in Mozilla to cache LDAP
> >data. So they are available when you're offline
>
> I can't write to the LDAP addressbook (which might be a matter of access
> rights?) and probably it won't be possible to make changes in offline
> mode. The Idea was, that it would be easily possible to make changes
> offline and sync it back once we're online again.

I haven't found a way to write to the LDAP tree from Kontact (e.g. editing
my own data). Maybe someone else on the list can tell how it is supposed to
work.
OTOH we regularly import/update addresses of people from our headquarter and
related companies (~20.000 vcards) by a scripted import out of distributed
LDIF files.

> using the toltec connector, I could syncronise a new addressbook &
> calendar, but do not get the contacts which are already stored on the
> server and can be seen with thunderbird.

This is wrong. You can setup an account in OL + Toltec Connector which
initially loads all data from your folders on the server. This new PST can
be in parallel to your existing PST.

So you can use all clients in parallel and see a consitent picture on every
application (aside from some minor bugs and limitations).

Regards,
Andreas