Toltec Connector problem

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Fri Jan 27 13:01:34 CET 2006

Hi all,

This is from the replay to Koen:

<------>

The Toltec Connector can be disabled by Outlook when Outlook starts up and
the connector fails to load. There are two conditions under which this
happens, a) the Toltec Connector returns and error when the operating system
is out of memory, b) an instance of Outlook is already open.

Now I do not think that (a) will be the problems as a lot of other things
will be going wrong at the same time.

(b) on the other hand happens when someone closes Outlook and starts Outlook
again immediately. The issue is that Outlook does not close immediately,
even if the icons are removed from the task bar it does take a bit of time
for the Outlook process to shutdown. In very rare cases it take a long time
to shutdown.

So when you open the Outlook again, it cannot start up and fails at one of
the plug-ins. We have found this ourselves with both Toltec and other
Outlook plugs-ins.

There is no easy way to detect if the connector is disabled and the
connector self cannot detect it as it does not get loaded at all. The
plug-in information is kept in a file "extend.dat". All we know about this
file is that it keeps a list of plug-ins and if they are disabled or not.

Removing this file enables all the plug-ins again. Outlook recreates the
file every time on start up, but by default all plug-ins are enabled.

Now I can provide you with an application that will remove the file on every
startup of Windows, but what may work now, my not work with future release
and versions of Outlook as the use for this file may change. You will also
have to uninstall any unwanted plug-ins as you will not be able to disable
them.

<------>

This only happens in Outlook XP and Outlook 2003. Please note that on one
system there may be multiple extend.dat files and they must all be removed.

Best regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557