proko2 client very sluggish?

T. Ribbrock admin_slox-e at itsef.com
Thu Feb 9 11:08:37 CET 2006

Hi all,

now that the first "real" users are slowly migrating to our Kolab server,
it becomes evident that the proko2 client is extremely slow, especially
when synchronising with the Kolab server. I myself have an account with
about 87MB mail (84 folders with all in all 2023 mails), groupware folders
not included. The client is proko2.0.6, running on SuSE 10.0. The
workstation is a P4 3.2GHz, so there should be enough horsepower. The
connection between the server and my workstation is 100Mb/s. If I start a
sync with the Kolab server, it takes a 3 1/2min, with no new messages or
appointments!

Most of the time, I see "Getting permissions for <some folder>" messages,
i,e, the number of folders directly translates into duration of the sync.
Also, while the sync is running, kontact becomes *very* unresponsive -
it's so bad that menus take a few seconds to appear and if I type
something, it takes a few seconds for the letters to appear.

I sincerely hope that this is not normal behaviour, as otherwise, I will
run into problems with some of our users (accounts in the 400-500MB
range). Hence my questions:

- IS this normal?
- If not: How/where can I look to try and speed things up?

As usual: Any hints welcome!

Regards,

Thomas