LDAP address book trouble [was: Re: Migrate Exchange 5.0 to Kolab 2]

Martin Minkler minkler at artegic.de
Thu Aug 31 16:07:22 CEST 2006

Martin Minkler schrieb:

>> Does anybody have any clue as to why
>>
>> - Outlook does not use the base dn set in the options
>
> My main concern and absolutely driving me insane

>> - even after a successful query the address book in Thunderbird still
>> stays blank (again OT I guess)
>
> If You click into the "Name or Address" field and hit space (thus
> searching for an entry containing a blank?), all entries are shown - why
> this is not the default display behaviour I do not know ~:-/
>
> Still I cannot use the global address book in Outlook...

Well, I found a workaround / solution

When setting DN to dc=<domain>,dc=<tld> it works, but guess how:

- open ldap address book named <server>, all is blank
- click on "search entries"
- click in any field
- hit space
- click ok
- the search result will show all entries in the ldap address book
- click on the first item
- hold down ctrl
- press "end"
- keep holding down ctrl
- right click twice on any item (so it stays selected)
- click on "add to address book"

now You have a copy of the ldap address book in Your personal contacts.

Pro:
- You have the contacts from the ldap address book

Con:
- When the contents of the global address book change You will not know
or be notified since You're working on a copy
- Whenever the address book is opened, the ldap server entry will be
selected by default and the list will be empty until You populate it via
a blank search - highly irritating. Can be changed via the address book
settings though.

Has somebody found a more elegant solution?
Preferrably one that displays the whole ldap address book upon selecting
it :-)

Thank You all for Your time and effort, I'll certainly be back ;-)

Martin