[OT?] Easy-to-use archiving mail in kontact?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Aug 16 13:18:55 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 15:26, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 11. Juli 2006 14:56 schrieb Torsten Irländer:
> > On Monday, 10. July 2006 15:45, T. Ribbrock wrote:
> > > The problem: We want to give our users the possibility to archive
> > > their mails to a CD-ROM, so they can clean up their IMAP accounts
> > > from time to time, thus saving space on the server.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an easy option to do so in
> > > kontact - e.g. you cannot simply drag'n'drop a mailfolder into k3b
> > > to burn it on a CD-ROM. Hence, my question: Has anybody out there
> > > solved this problem and devised a method for users to easily get
> > > their mails archived on a CD
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm sorry but I also don't know an easy "one-click" solution for your
> > problem. But I appreciate very much an "export/import" function for
> > mails in the same way we know it for addresses or events. Maybe we
> > should discuss this here or on the devel list or simply open an issue
> > for this in the tracker.
> >
> > The only options I can imagine at the moment are:
> >
> > 1. Copying the mails by hand into a local Foder under ~/Mail and burn
> > this folder in a second step. This could be done by most users but
> > might be unpractical if you have large folder structures.

The "copy folder" functionality (select folder, right click, copy folder
to) will copy folder structures.

> > 2. Burn Mailfolders found in .kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap ... I think
> > would be the most easy way... if the user understand how folder are
> > organized here. Ok I think in most cases this is no option.

For the most part this directory should be considered to be
internal data for KMail/Kontact and not a good starting point
for something systematic.

> > Reimporting archived mails is done in the oposite way and should be
> > no problem.
> >
> > However, I think an import and export function using mbox would be
> > great.
>
> Exporting single folders as mbox is possible by selecting all messages
> in a folder and then saving them, i.e. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+S.

For folderstructure and additional information like the folder type,
maildir + index files currently is the better format compared to mbox.

> Using archived folders from CD-ROM directly is not possible because
> KMail tries to open all mbox files and messages files (for maildir) in
> read-write mode. Obviously, this doesn't work for files stored on a
> CD-ROM. We'll make sure that this will be possible with Akonadi in
> KDE4.

A possible alternative would be to run a small imap server on the CD data
which would make it accessible for all mail clients.

Bernhard