kolabd package available in Debian sid

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Apr 12 14:36:55 CEST 2006

Am Dienstag, 11. April 2006 14:02 schrieb T. Ribbrock:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 07:25:15PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 8. April 2006 00:40 schrieb Markus Heller:
> > > Instead we must look forward and see where we have deficits: It is
> > > really vital to get kolab into the main distributions, and we'll only
> > > reach this if we get rid of openpkg.
> >
> > I disagree.
> > It is much more important to offer stable features and good support.
> > Both can be done much easier currently with OpenPKG.
> >
> > > SuSE/Novell will never include something in their
> > > distro which doesn't fit into the FHS. And the others won't either.
> >
> > It is only a small drawback as Kolab Server can easily be depolyed on
> > such systems already, because of the OpenPKG layer.
> > And this is much easier on development, support and system administration
> > (for a Kolab solution).
>
> Not sure I agree on the system administration part here. I can see your
> point about OpenPKG making life easier for the developer (and therefore
> I can live with it - if the developers are happy, they will keep
> developing... ;-) ) and support, but from the administrator's point of
> view, it's also a bit of a nuissance at times, as you get yet another
> extra source (or even sources, as you have to watch kolab.org, openpkg.org
> plus the updates of the underlying OS) you have to keep an eye on for
> security updates - which in turn are not as easy to apply as e.g. packages
> that are part of a distro.

This update part is not as comfortable as it could be.
On the other hand: Your knowledge is less distribution specific
and the hints you find are more likely to be generic to all Kolab Server
installations.

> The whole "security updates" situation is actually one of the more vague
> points of Kolab in my experience - which is nicely summarised in
> https://intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue850 as I just noticed... :-)

We did not get around putting up a security page, though the issue has our
policy about it. Of course, the customers of the Kolab-Konsortium with
maintenance contract and stating option, get drop in package replacements.

It is true that OpenPKG's idea of product life cycle has not been optimal in
the past. I brought this up with them and the new OpenPKG GmbH.

Bernhard

--
www.kolab-konsortium.com  Professional Maintenance, Consultancy and Support.